Position: Prep Cook
Responsible for preparing food for cooking or serving and distributing food to banquet servers to serve to guests.
Maintaining clean and safe work area and equipment.
Job Title: Prep Cook
Entity: Spectra Venue Management - Utah Valley Convention Center (Provo, UT)
Reports to: Executive Chef, Sous Chef, Lead Prep Cook, and Director of Food & Beverage
Status: Part-Time Hourly
Closing Date: Open Until Closed / Filled
Responsible to clean, cut, or peel foods for getting to prepare them for cooking or serving. Using banquet orders, food preparation workers prepare food and arrange it on serving dishes. Responsible for distributing food to banquet servers to serve to customers. In addition, food preparation workers clean and maintain work areas and equipment.
• Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
• Ability to speak clearly so that listeners may understand.
• Must be able to make fast, simple, repeated movements of fingers, hands and wrists.
• Ability to bend, stretch, twist or reach out with the body, arms and/or legs.
• Must be able to lift, push, pull or carry heavy objects.
• General knowledge on providing services to customers based on their needs.
• On-the-job training; and little or no previous work experience.
• High school diploma or equivalent GED.
Job Duties (including to but not limited to):
• Clean, cut, or peel various foods to prepare for cooking or serving.
• Prepare foods according to banquet orders.
• Preparation and set up of hot and cold plates as directed.
• Arrange food on serving dishes.
• Give food to waiters and waitresses to serve to customers.
• Maintain and clean all equipment related areas used in food prep, serving, and storing
• Handle and move objects.
• Perform activities that use the whole body.
• Monitor events, materials, and surroundings.
• Communicate with supervisors, peers, or subordinates.
• Estimate sizes, quantities, time, cost, or materials needed.
• Control machines and processes.
• Evaluate information against standards.
• Establish and maintain relationships.
• Other duties as assigned by Director of Food and Beverage and the Executive Chef.
Special Characteristics and Knowledge:
• Have a medium level of social contact. Ability to work closely with kitchen staff, but also spend time alone cooking.
• Provide excellent service to customers.
• General knowledge for the health and safety of patrons and staff.
• Must be sure that all details of the job are performed and their work is accurate.
• Ability to express ideas clearly when speaking or in writing.
• Ability to read and understand written information
• Must be exact in their work. Errors could cause safety hazards for themselves and other workers.
• Must be able to multi-task.